Friday, December 9, 2011

chicken with apples, raisins and olives

I don't want to talk about how tired I am at the end of the day or how much I'd love to soak in a hot bath because my back is aching from growing this baby or how I just want to spend some quality time playing with my toddler who I've missed all day. I don't want to talk about any of that.

Lets talk about how quickly throwing together some ingredients can make a dish that warms my tummy and puts a smile on my face. Lets talk about how getting crazy in the kitchen can dust off those creative muscles and help you forget the day.

I first saw this recipe in a Rachael Ray magazine but I added my own twists and now it's among my favorites in the week night rotation. My heart sings for these flavor combinations. This dish feels so cozy and fall-ish but it's easy on the waist and wallet. I love how versitle it is, too.

I LOVE the combo of warm, sweet apples and raisins with tart green olives. Reading the recipe, I thought it was strange, too, but I was oh-so wrong. It makes me ravenous. I really think the couscous helps unite the whole dish, so don't try and sub flavorless rice or something for it. Plus couscous is so quick, you'll cheat yourself if you try rice instead. The other ingredients though, they are totally game for substitutions.
chicken with apples, raisins and olives

Ingredients:
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs butter
1-2 chicken breasts, cut up into bite sized chunks
salt and pepper
1/2 of a large sweet onion
1 apple (I had Jonagold on hand)
1/2 c raisins
1/3 c water
1/4 tsp cinnamon
handful of green olives, chopped
1 package of garlic and olive oil couscous, prepared

Make it:
Heat butter and oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. When chicken is done, remove from pan and set aside. Add onions and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add apples, raisins, water and cinnamon. Simmer for 5 minutes until apples are fork tender. Add chicken back to the pan and simmer for another 2 minutes. Add in chopped olives and stir to combine.

Serve chicken mixture and some of the pan juices over the couscous. I added zucchini on the side to round out the meal.

This meal is so easy, cheap and yummy and can be tailored to your taste or what you have on hand. I'm going to try making it vegetarian by using roasted butternut squash instead of chicken. A handful of walnuts would be awesome for added crunch. Black olives would work just as well. Get creative.

Note: This made enough for my family of 3 (2 adults and 1 toddler) with no leftovers.

You could totally make this in 10 minutes if you prep a bit the night before!

  1. Chop chicken, onions and olives. Store separately.
That's it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Writer's Blog by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP