Wednesday, June 22, 2011

the answer to my wardrobe prayers

It's early in the morning and I'm staring at my sparse clothing choices in the closet. I stare and stare hoping something will jump out at me so I can get dressed for work.

Those pants are too tight. That shirt shrunk and it's too short now. Darn, my black pants are at the dry cleaners. What goes with these gray pants? Ugh, the gray pants need to be ironed.

This happens to me more than I'd like. I'm not the best at putting outfits together, especially at 5:15 a.m. 

I've found the solution! Why didn't I think of this before? It's so obvious. 

Dresses. Dresses!

Cute, flowy, versatile, easy to care for dresses. I can just pick a dress, throw it on, put some shoes on and I'm done. Problem solved, total time to get dressed is now 20 minutes and not 30 minutes!


Now, I'm not typically a dress type person. I grew up a tom-boy. Jeans, shirts, sneakers. I gave my parents a hard time about wearing a dress for school pictures, weddings, church, anything. I hated them. They were too girly for my taste. If they managed to get me in one, I would wear shorts underneath. At 9 years old, I told them I was going to wear pants at prom and my wedding. Dresses, yuck.

A co-worker, who is a working single mom and always looks stylish and put together, inspired me. I always wondered how she was able to care for her 3 daughters, keep her house running, work and still look fabulous. I noticed that she wears dresses more often than not. Of course! 

She says it's easy, fast, you don't have to think about matching things together. She also pointed me toward the stores that have the cute, inexpensive easy to care for variety.  JC Penny's, Ross and Marshall's. I was excited to begin building my dress stash, so I set out for JCP (after googling for coupons: $10 off a $50 purchase, score!). 

I've already added 3 dresses to my wardrobe and it has been so easy to get dressed in the morning. I feel pretty and I've been getting compliments! I just make sure the dresses are machine washable or hand washable (if I really like it) and that I am truly comfortable with the fit. I prefer A-line because it masks my larger hips and back side while giving me a flattering shape. It also helps when the material is easy to wipe when Evan gets food on me or spits up on me. 

The cost is also much better than what I was spending on outfits with pants. I would buy these $75 pants  because they were the only ones that fit well then I would get them hemmed. Add a shirt for $50ish and I've spent $135 on one outfit. Outrageous. Plus these pants need to be dry cleaned! I bought 3 dresses for under that!

So, if you're a mama and you need to streamline your morning routine, get some dresses. Go ahead. Go. You'll love me for this. I like gerber daisies by the way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Writer's Blog by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP