Thursday, May 26, 2011

i'm a hothead

It's true.

I have a short fuse, at times, not all the time, but it's still there. Maybe I've had a bad day, too many people have tail-gated me, work was overwhelming, someone is not respecting my wishes, I haven't eaten in hours or aunt flow is planning her visit. Sometimes over the course of a few weeks little agitating situations arise and add up and then one day there is a little agitating situation that sends me over the edge. Then...I explode.

Since Evan came along, when my temper gets the best of me, I get quiet and deliberately don't say anything. I am not always successful but I am working toward being consistent. If I say something, I will say mean, sarcastic and hurtful things. I know myself. The point is that I am trying to work toward a healthier response to annoyances. I need to set an example. I recognize that my original responses are not the way I want Evan to behave. I need to work toward not slamming things when I am upset. To breathe and cool off. To walk away and gather my thoughts or change my focus and return to the issue with a clear head.

Life gets tough. It's helpful to step back and ask yourself whether it's worth getting upset about. And if it is....discuss it in a healthy and productive manner.

Tonight was tough. I came home from work in a fowl mood because I had been turned down again after requesting some flexibility in my schedule. John did one little thing to make me feel like my world was crashing in on me. One little thing added on top of all the other unhappy things in my day made me explode. Yet, I decided not to talk, I decided to do the dishes and run an errand. When I came back, I had cooled down and was able to state my feelings in a clear, respectful way.



Motherhood is wonderful and exciting and fun but it can also be stressful and demanding. Practicing these techniques will help me in the long run. Help me to keep my cool longer and be a better mama and role model.

How do you handle bad days or situations that send you over the edge? What works? What doesn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Writer's Blog by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP